Trash to Treasure
PATHWAYSelf: Cooperation and Problem Solving
AGE GROUP14-16 years
Anticipate Time3 hours min
GROUP SIZE2-5, 5-15, 15-30
ValuesCooperation, Creativity, Unity
Pathfinders work in teams to create an invention out of old broken appliances.
Through participation in this Pursuit, the Pathfinder will:
1. Work as a team to create a new invention.
2. Acknowledge that God created us.
3. Appreciate that God has the power and desire to re-create us!
Philippians 1:6He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
When we look around at the earth and people He created, it is profoundly evident that God is wonderfully creative. However, since the fall of man, God’s creations have moved away from what He designed us to be like. We all have sinned and have things in our life that shouldn’t be there. Often we feel broken, ashamed and disappointed in ourselves. Sometimes we try hard to change for the good, and sometimes we just can’t be bothered. God alone has the power to really turn our lives around. God didn’t just create us, then dump us! He is there acting as our Creator God hoping He gets the opportunity to re-create our broken bits. Broken bits are not a problem to him. He’s always been able to create somethings out of nothing.
But He’s not pushy. He won’t go where He is not invited. In order for God to help re-create a life into something beautiful, I have to acknowledge that I am broken and ask God to do the job.
- Collect an assortment of broken appliances, ask for donations or even ask the whole club at a meeting to bring anything broken from home! Using the collection, make up a box of a number of different broken things for each group.
- Broken appliances eg, toasters, tape players, old computers, kettles, hair dryers. (These may be donated or bought cheaply from Community stores)
- General tool kit – to be used to dismantle appliances, include scissors
- Hot Glue guns (one for each group of 2 – 4 Pathfinders) Ensure you have enough hot glue sticks and be sure to CAUTION THE PATHFINDERS ABOUT USING HOT GLUE. HOT GLUE HURTS!
- Other varieties of quick-drying glue
- Box for each group
- Paper and pencil for each group
1. Introduce the idea of turning ‘trash to treasure’. Explain that they will work as a group to design, then make a new invention from broken piece of appliances.
2. Show the whole group one of the boxes of trash and ask them to brainstorm ideas of possible inventions. Emphasise the need to think creatively and to aim for a quality invention not just something slapped together. They may like to try to make:
- A toy
- Kitchen utensils
- Desk caddy
- Decorative hooks
- Storage boxes or racks
- Place mats
- A Game
3. Divide into groups of two to four and give each small group the box of broken bits, paper and pencil. Explain that they will need to plan the project and draw a design of the Invention before commencing.
4. Have a Hot glue gun available for all teams to use.
5. Allow them time to create. Each group can present their invention to the whole group when complete.
- What part of the creative process was most difficult, coming up with the idea or actually making your creation, and making it ‘work’?
- How was this Pursuit made easy or hard because it was completed as a group?
- How difficult was it to use broken pieces to create something that was of a good quality?
- Why do we often find it hard to admit that we may need improving, mending or healing?
- Has there aever been a time in your life when you felt broken or useless? Share a time with the person next to you.
- What parts of your life are you willing to give over to God to re-create?
- How can you increase your faith and really believe that God will be faithful in completing the work He began in you?
- What is one area or broken part in your life that you can give over to God this week, to ask God to turn it from ‘trash to treasure’?
- What steps are you going to take this week to stay connected with God so you can be available for His re-creation?